Monday, February 7, 2011

Spill Your Secrets…

…your potty training secrets that is.  Like many of you other toddler moms out there I am trying to get my little guy out of diapers.  However, he seems to have different plans.  We introduced him to the potty around 24 months.  Then about a month ago I started a sticker/prize system with him and it seems to be working somewhat (still slow going).  He gets a sticker every time he goes on the potty (2 stickers if he does #2) then puts it on his sticker chart.  Once he gets to 5 stickers he can pick a prize from the ‘prize bag’. They are doing a sticker chart system at daycare also, so it’s good I’m consistent. 

I’ve decided not to attempt pull ups, but go straight from diapers to underwear.   A was very excited to wear his new dinosaur underwear so one Saturday when we were home I gave it a shot (kept him close to the bathroom).  It turned out to be a big fail, so back a couple steps we went.  More recently, he’s had a couple good days where he’s stayed dry in his diapers and gone on the potty, which I’m taking as a really good sign that he’s getting it!  My goal is to have him trained by his 3rd birthday in April, but if he isn’t that’s ok.  I haven’t heard of a kindergartner starting school still in diapers so it will happen, eventually ;-)

So tell me what worked/is working for you?  Stickers? food bribery? naked approach? 1 Day or other ‘fast track’ methods? Waiting for him/her to be ready?  Are you using pull-ups or no pull-ups? I would love to hear other success stories of approaches that have worked.

Share, Share!!

4 comments:

  1. Be patient, it will happen when he is ready. My daughter was potty trained by 3 years old... she was ready for her big girl undies and never looked back. No night pullups or anything! No matter how much I worked with her on it, I feel like it was her deciding she was ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be the family of the kindergarten student in diapers!! lol
    M&M's worked last night, but not today. He's SO stubborn about it. He doesn't care for stickers or the rewards chart. He hated being naked, and doesn't have a problem 'going' in his undies. Argh!!
    He responds a little better to John, but is still making VERY slow progress. I'm just getting tired of having two in diapers!
    ~Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend's son who told her "when I am 5 I will use potty". So she said that's fine you will have to buy them then (He was older than 3. He started using the potty the next day because he didn't want to part with his cash for his toys. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erika. That's what I'm hoping for. One day he'll just want to wear them and not go back.

    No you won't Aly. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to have them both in diapers. Maybe money will work as a motivator?

    I have to try that one Karen. Except I'll make it when he's 3 he has to buy his diapers. hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...