Friday, April 22, 2011

Goodbye...Sayonara...Bye-Bye


Potty training can be a hard enough process as it is and for those of us who work outside the home, when exactly does one have the time to do it??  For us, we had about 2 hours in the morning, 3 hrs in the evenings and then weekends (if we’re not running around doing errands and have parties, etc).  Not exactly the dedication time needed.   However, as slow paced as we were, it worked!  I thought I would share my experience/approach in the hopes it helps out some of you other working moms out there who are currently or going to be potty training soon. 

This past Monday I took a gamble.  I sent my son to daycare without wearing a diaper!  For the last 10-12 months I felt like all we were doing (and talking about) was potty training.  As A approached 3 years old he seemed like he was ready so I started giving him pep talks about wearing ‘big kid undies’.  Well, I guess suddenly was ready because one morning the other week when I was putting on his diaper he asked me why I was doing that and not putting on his big boy undies?!  That was music to my ears!!!  I took that as his cue to get rid of the diapers and see what happens.  Turns out my gamble on Monday paid off.  He had no accidents and hasn’t had any all week.  Like a light switch he suddenly “got” what we had been teaching him for the last year.  I officially have a potty trained kid.  Yaaay!

For those of you out there getting ready (or in the middle of potty training) here's what I did:  We implemented a sticker/prize system.  For prizes, go to Target and get a bunch of stuff from the $1 bins to put in a big gift bag for your little one to choose from. We decided not to use a separate child’s potty but instead used the baby bjorn toilet trainer.  We introduced the potty to A about a couple weeks before his 2nd birthday but we didn't get into the later stages of training until closer to 26-27 months old.  He took to doing #1 in the potty very quickly, but I was afraid to let him go without a diaper on unless we were home (which wasn't very often).  In hindsight he probably could have been daytime trained a few months earlier, but in the end it worked out wonderful because he trained both daytime & overnight at the same time.  I also learned a lot for when/if we have another baby.


Step 1 – got A used to sitting on the potty.  Each time he sat on it (no matter how long) he earned a prize from the prize bag. 

Step 2 – Every time A did pee on the potty he got a prize from the prize bag.  Once he got used to this (and we were going through lots of prizes we moved onto the next phase)

Step 3 – Every time A did pee on the potty he earned 1 sticker for his chart (for poop he earned 2 stickers).  Once he got to 5 stickers he got to pick a prize from the prize bag. 

Step 4 – Once he was going fairly consistently on the potty I started having him wear underwear around the house for a few hours at a time.  I set a timer for 5 and then 10 minute increments to remind him to use the potty.

We only did the last step for 2 weeks (few hours in morning & evenings before/after daycare and as much as we could on both weekends) and he was ready to let go of the diapers.

Lots of luck to anyone else out there who is potty training.  I know it can be hard so hang in there and stick with it.  One of the keys to success is to figure out what will motivate your child and use that as the reward.  Whether it be candy, stickers, prizes, spare change or simply lots and lots of praise.  It’s so true when you read that your little one will do it when they’re ready….and not a day before it!  You’ll be surprised at the difference you’ll see when they are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...