Friday, April 19, 2013

Cowabunga Dudes!

When I asked my son a few months ago what kind of theme he wanted for his 5th birthday party I got a a different answer depending on the day of the week it was.  Agengers….Transformers….Phineas & Ferb…..Super Mario Brothers….  Until finally he settled on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (they're baaack!)  This past Saturday we hosted 18 little ninja turtles at a local nature preserve to celebrate Anthony’s 5th birthday.  And what a party it was!! 

The naturalist at the center showed the kids some of the rescued animals they care for; including a snake, rabbit, and a ferret.  She also had items available for them to touch and explore like a turtle shell, deer skin and a snake skin.  Then we all went outside to look at the eagles and hawks and to play some animal themed games.  By the end of the hour session everyone was more than ready for pizza and cupcakes!!

Invitations and thank you notes I created myself using GIMP software (it's free!) and printed out on cardstock via Vistaprint.  I drew inspiration from this invitation I found on pinterest.  The thank you cards I made to match the invitation and made up the saying inside based on what a ninja turtle might say ;)

 
 
I was surprised at how difficult it was to find paper goods.  Maybe because the cartoon is so new that products haven’t made it into mainstream party stores yet, but I couldn’t even find them online when I was trying to order ahead of time (me being the planner that I am).  I finally found all of the paper goods at Target less than a month before the party (phew!!)  I even found masks on clearance!  Double score!!

 
 
My son may be one of the few kids on earth that does not like cake.  S(hocking, I know)  He prefers fruit or crunchy snacks over sweets.  For his school party I sent in an array of crunchy snacks for him to share with his friends, but for his party I felt like we needed a traditional cake or cupcakes.  But since I wasn’t sure if he was going to eat any, I figured why not save some money and try my hand at making cupcakes this year.  So off to google and pinterest I went in search of a vanilla cupcake recipe.  If I was going to make them, then I was going to do it from scratch.  I settled on Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcake recipe.  Very easy and turned out delicious!  I even added some candy bits into the batter to make it more of a ‘funfetti’.  I then decorated them to look like ninja turtles – which was surprisingly quite easy.  I tinted the icing using green gel food coloring, the candy eyes were store bought, used fruit by the foot/fruit roll ups for the eye masks and used black gel icing to draw the mouth. I used these as my inspiration (from pinterest of course).
 

For the favors I knew a long time ago that I wanted to package whatever it was that I gave out in a pizza box.  Because ninja turtles love…..what else, but PIZZA!  Our local pizza place was nice enough to give me the pizza boxes for free (yay!) and I created the label in powerpoint, printed out and glued onto the boxes.   I found inspiration for the label via pinterest but decided to recreate the design myself so that I could print in a larger size than the seller was offering. 
 
I loved the idea of giving out a single item to the kids.  In the long run it probably cost about the same or minimally more as a goody bag full of lots of little stuff but honestly, the little stuff typically gets thrown away by a lot of parents a few days after the party (I know I’m guilty of it).  Finding 20 of the same t-shirt in varying sizes proved a challenge, but I ultimately found them online at The Children’s Place.  Boys got Ninja Turtle t-shirts and the girls got green shirts with hearts.

 
 
All of the ninja turtles who attended had a fantastic time and most of all the birthday boy had the best 5th birthday!!  The joy on his face that day made all of the preparations and time I spent planning completely worth it.
 
Happy Birthday my Big Man!


 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...