Friday, February 8, 2013

Good Dog


Last week I had the dreaded flu. It was sort of weird yet kind of amazing to see just how fast my body reacted and went down.  I felt perfectly fine leaving work Monday evening and by 8:30 pm I was in bed unable to move.  I didn’t emerge from my quarantined bedroom until Friday morning (with the exception of a trip to the doctor for some meds on Tuesday afternoon).  Thank goodness for my wonderful husband who helped to take care of our son and the house so that I could get the rest that I needed. 

On Thursday afternoon I kept hearing our 8 year old labrador retriever mix crying.  Figuring that she needed to go out, I got myself up and managed to take her outside for a quick walk so that she didn’t have an accident in the house.  A couple minutes after I got myself back into bed I heard her crying again.  I tried to ignore her since I had just taken her out, but after a few more minutes of listening to her I couldn’t take it anymore and got myself up out of bed again.  As I turned the corner out of my bedroom I was shocked at what I saw next...


 Our dog hasn’t climbed these stairs in over 5 years since we put in the hard wood floors.  Like many dogs, she became very afraid of the slippery floors. Although there is a runner on the stairs, she never felt comfortable coming all the way up because the landing at the top is straight wood.  We actually prefer that she doesn't come upstairs so it worked out better.  She has her bed & domain downstairs and we have ours upstairs.

On this particular day, I believe our dog had sensed I was sick and simply wanted to be with me.  But since I was upstairs she had no choice but to climb the stairs she was so scared of.

Dogs have extraordinary senses as we all know and there have been studies done about whether or not dogs can even sense illness.  Whether or not that was the case here, I can't say for certain.  But what I do know is that my sweet dog faced one of her biggest fears to come and bring a smile to my face when I was feeling pretty crappy last week.  What a good great dog!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...