Thursday, November 11, 2010

Working Mother Media Worklife Congress

The other week I attended a 2 day conference in NYC with two of my coworers for the Working Mother Media WorkLife Congress.  I was selected to attend due to my roles at work as a leader of our “Working Parents Network”.  It is an organization of employees who are driven to improve the work/life balance of all employees at my company through policy changes & programs.  I’ve been a part of this network for a few years now and it’s something I am very proud to be involved in. 

The conference itself was quite eye opening (and a little depressing) to see what other companies are offering for working mothers (and dads too) that my own company does not.  It showcased the “Top 100 Best Companies to Work for as a Working Mom” and held workshops about what they are doing to make the work/life balance a little easier. 

At the Gala dinner they even announced women from each of the top 100 Best Companies that were named “Working Mother of the Year”.  As I sat there and watched the awards I thought to myself, how cool would it be to win that award someday?!

One of the goals of our Working Parents Network is to get my company onto this list of Top 100 Best Companies.  We were the first Advertising Agency to ever attend this conference (we were a sponsor too) and the President of Working Mother Media personally came up to our table and expressed how excited she was to see us there. 

I am more motivated than ever to convince management that we need to implement a flexible working arrangement and better maternity leave policy.  Maybe if we offered more flexibility we wouldn’t see so many people quitting……. My colleagues and I have already started drafting up a business plan for a flexible working policy that we plan to take to Management in a month or so.

I think I’m going to need some luck for this one!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...